Sunday, February 6, 2022

Spirit Force

Origin, I cannot say if I remember your slightest embrace
As there is no recollection of that, let alone your face
Are you alone? I wander the forest, I tread the night
Indeed, it is I, who watches only the smallest light

Is it my years that bring to me no recall, in my eyes?
Is it you, Origin, who had found the fabled paradise?
Where I watch from an outside wall
A low wind murmurs, and that is all

Origin, I cannot say if I remember a smile of your face
There must be dragons to slay, and castle to scale
Because I sense a kingdom in ruins and conquered place
And so there must be deep oceans of darkness to sail

Origin, I grasp and I do try to guess
That out there in the distance immense
You catch the echo of a word
The edge of my verse unheard

In the strange night or in the point of its eclipse
I stood among dark ones, amid the shadows of night
I knocked on doors asking in the shade of warships
But unseen I fade back away, my hands clutched tight

Whether the splash of sun on mountaintop
Or in earthen stone, my light burns hot
In so many a night, so many alone
Holding nothing but flesh and bone

I mirror life in ways that reflect dense distant suns
A flame dancing past the elements of expanse I trace
I turned to find you saying greetings from the high ones
Saying no goodbyes in a dream instead of empty space

Origin, quietly I will say
Only a question, if I may?
Where falls from the forest tree
The living spring it used to be?

The brush, weed and thorns have made my skin as bark
In the rains of clouds far below the roof of sphere
Deep down I tell you what I see, and I hold your mark
If just in a single drop that such is manifested here

Origin, are you blue? Do you remember me from a star?
The ages have made deep trails that lead away afar
And small ripples or waves in a sea
Origin, are you alone? Or is it me?

What burden do I carry, so long a time, I cannot say
I hear in my soul what instructs me to give it to you
But out of fear I stay silent, passed times that betray
My life and ages past have known the same, heavy but true

I would love a mere glimpse even if it is in vain
I would try to ease the wounds of those in pain
A hint of ways to spark dreams
For whatever to them it seems

Now floating the clouds seem dull as the night draws on
I turn to gaze longing for a half-forgotten idea of home
A page or two of a story with no single command to belong
A thousand more the heavens bear, treading along the glow

And your thoughts all the wise have longed and sought
Worlds, and realms of magic, you alone have wrought
In your hand caught, you already know
Of the hosts, my fire is like the snow

Who are they that build winds that sweep, and willows weep?
Faraway crystals that sparkle through a telescopic glass?
Upon the waking bough there's promise of bloom and leaf
Alive in a flame we weave, on top of cloud's soaring mass

I know your ways, springing the waters of peace
When I'm a pale flame, you name the veil of seas
Hidden in waves, bleak is the lair
But to others, nothing is there

Do you draw me from grief, as beams settle in empty room?
If comes the crash of avalanche you understand hopes I keep
And if a shadow of shadows descend you brush away the gloom
With you in quiet speech, I vaguely hear memories that sleep

I've known the significance of shine I try to cast
I am one who keeps a fire, blue middle flames last
I cannot say if I remember you ever being here
Maybe in deep memory unlike numbers of year
I would ask if I knew what words to pray
But this recollection will never go away


© Iggy 1993/1994
Working titles for this body of work were 'Ghost', 'Eidolon' and 'Origin (Father)'

3 comments:

  1. Your “Spirit Force” is staggeringly great... My entire being is pulsed with every syllable of your words as they move through my heart and soul. I ache to change history such that you have a recollection worthy of you...
    You of all people have deserved to be surrounded by and secured in love throughout your entire existence. That is what your recollection should be for as wonderful and caring a person as you are.
    Thank you for you and for sharing your feelings, talents and creativity! You are incredible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really struggled to put a title to this one and I had other ideas for what it could be called but nothing really worked. And I had thought 'Memories of the Spirit' was maybe a good title, too. Anyway it's simplistic enough that the title suggests what it does without giving too much away.

      Thank you for you and so kind you are, Mr Chillybites! Thank you for the compliments! @}---

      Delete
  2. Thank you! Also, yes, I can see why choosing the title is not easy, and I really like “Spirit Force”. Amazing you are!

    ReplyDelete