Tuesday, August 9, 2022

I Am A Storyteller

Once there was a time, once upon a time, as it is told
We lived on myths, tread over buried ages all the days of old
In the firelight, the direction of the moon may not tell the time
Eager listener, a long hour is but a phrase of mine

Close your eyes and drift along as light grows dimmer now
Smaller bulbs of willow's nocturnal cover burn, in its arched bow
Where could I be? Looking over the distant open of a deep shade
The moon hangs, yet on closer look is another narrow way I face

It was well hidden by bricks of earthen color and cold
A small moon hangs in a characteristic midnight of what I've told
Quiet fantasy, unsung mystic, may have seemed empty where I stood
There suddenly light filled as fire, in a familiar crackling of wood

The mystic lord and magic knight kept a corridor closed
That would lead to a treasure room filled with gold and prose
But the treasure of gold was in the eye, the other in one's mind
A hallway glazed and tempered by furnace, but no words to find
 
I'll weave the journey in what I tell you now, a way back through halls
Open chambers full of time, following a written message on tunnel walls
But it is a story, a journal, a scroll of past events kept long by the sages
And murky shadows have harbored over these seamless ages

The scribes had written on high, now given to the buried deep
When fall fades the warm underground shades amble along asleep
In no direction they keep, in no awareness of time, wandering slow
Outside castle and downhill the countryside of long ago

But a legend speaks, and a touch stirs the air, many a tune is there
Carried on by trees fair and waves made by clearings of nowhere
Above paths of earthen way, you'll hear the chords, echoes seem faint
One chord low, one flows, and a third that crescendos with no restraint
 
Far up past clouds I sang with you, soft in the night's coldly lit moon
Heed that night's hidden grounds stay ever beyond the name of Lune
And the story speaks of solid bridges, rigid and old, collapsed and gone
They are present in shattered disarray, here is part of the tale I have drawn

What had happened that brings such an outcome to slow footsteps to a grind?
Attentive listener, 'twas the grottoes underway with no path any could find
It seems all is dead, passed on, and well outside that realm's frame
Disconnected distances unseen, they were outside the dark, aflame
 
Remember the ages deep beneath, the grip of war fleeting and tenuous
Ages erase and beyond the solid, the battle is sensed far more strenuous
The tale I bring now is of past glory won and peace that prophets tell
All your slightest hopes that fell, I've held them in such a deep well
 
Forgotten places and a memory of something I never heard played
Dimensions high or low, but it's always there, the memory had stayed
We all share the same realm, we reach back away, I speak and I regale
Of my path that I journeyed forth, and where my part is in the tale

If there was no doubt, and nothing dwindled to naught
The door of the unknown may drone on with no thought
But the iron holding fast, a sinister feeling keeps it all locked
An ancient willpower that dove into fire, where angels walked

Eternity vague, certainty pale, deep down once great realms sleep
Up from the depths, harbors their defeat, it's still a familiar keep
It takes form in a faraway edge that never connects, it may seem
Down from the darkness, a world upside, have you seen this dream?

If there is a demand to surrender secrets, the edge misleads our trust
Here and there I've slowed my steps to do whatever it is I must
The mystic and the magic knight have guarded a realm and its name
Their gaze sharp and crystal clear, whatever the ages may claim
 
Under the light of day hides the air of the past never gone
But the light finds a way through, reading the walls out yon
None can say it's too different now, the faded ages claim somehow
Abundant moments of centuries cleared, stones of gray lay now

From rooted willows and rolling shadows the corridor stands bare
Speaking that I'd come back, find this again, but time subdued the dare
The corridor still silent, in the murkiness of thought, well hidden
Absorbing darkness, a dull harbinger to echo something forbidden

If you go down this way to the ledge, brave listener, your senses keep
Shake off the feeling of fear, unease, doubt and pain, and of sleep
I speak of an iron door when it fell, an echo of emptiness continued
Loudly echoing until it too, faded to whispers misconstrued

Out on open lands the fog rolled in, the way beaded like light rain
The knight rode past in a hurried flash, of a time that time can contain
Torchlight reveals long settled stones and all thereon inscribed
Following the message written on tunnel walls, I have ere described
 
To reach out and the words may form and utter words in my mind
If nothing amiss befalls the twilight line of the horizon behind
Our voices bounce around and in answer, our questions as well
And walking outside the dark is a place I will bring a story to tell
 
The way away out and beyond, is to go down further and find dead space
Carrying clouds, hardly a visible path wound, navigating as if in a maze
Sounds muffled creep along, it was hard to find the buried secret gold
But it's the secret of old I hope to hold, given in words I'd told
 
And a place of song so clear, talking, singing softly close to my ear
Quiet tunnels deep and unheard, in a labyrinth unstirred, are near
The mystic telling tales with long pauses, with sighs, rivals mine
For the mystic lived in all those ages, while for elsewhere I'd pine
 
Under the light of star and moon, the hearth kept fires alight
As in a woven cocoon, wrapped away from the sinister night
But out on surface of lake, river and moss, flowed an ocean wind
Count it as a wish, like stars or oceans of fish, let a dream begin
 
In halls there blows a whisper of night, new moon out of our sight
In magic strings and hours in a glass, alas there would be far off light
And if one speaks the tale, the mystic foretold the casting of the spell
Let the strokes of a pen forever mark the wisdom of an uncertain farewell

That age and that realm began to fade almost as it came
The dread that was spoke in dreams but never said, had no name
So softly the story flowed, lofty the senses embraced the romance
In firelight and gatherings of folk, merriment and laughter and dance

But in a while I stood in a dim and long hall, against a wall I'd lean
Yet had I never halted, then never to see that which had passed unseen
Somewhere in a soft candlelight I was able to speak of what was before
Of what eluded the magic knight, what happened in past days of yore

A song in the east, moon in the west, and God's fire just the surface below
A keeper I was called to, from beyond the blue, out of what stories bestow
Great lands and desolate sands over a kingdom no script found redeeming
Perhaps an answer, curious listener, everything has meaning

The fire has gone to ember low, keep them aglow, and I sense no rain
I give you the moments again, and hours hence, all my heart can contain
Because I am a storyteller, I will say that the tale I spoke may seem to fray
Pieced together as I shall always be a storyteller, from so far away
 
 
©Iggy 1989
With notes added to the work dated in 1998/1999/2001

No comments:

Post a Comment