Friday, August 5, 2022

Behold The Darkness

Turning my eyes up into the night, and stargazers alike follow its turning
Vast sea of small lights aflame to rival from far back, the sun's own burning
Stars glow but against shadow they mimic mere candles with distinct sharpness
Quiet falls and calms everything for everything beholds the darkness
And to a window I bring a candle that renders a dim glow
And to a window I focus through the obscurity moving slow
 
Wander within this realm of soft unseen fantasy, let your fingers find
The blanket and hide your dreams beneath it in a treasure secretly bind
You must understand the spell of how the night brings a far off starkness
I find the dreams I long for when the stillness beholds the darkness
How can I fear what is sweetly strange and hallowed like a shrine?
How can I misunderstand the harmless even shade so fine?

In the wake of shadow, deeper than night, the sudden awareness ominous
In a sphere of what holds thunder, we can wonder, for the half world in darkness
A power deep and unknown in height, seems to circle only one half the domain
The gods stay close enough to redeem the hours or the essence of my name
The grounds pull in what the image of night says is old but keeps paths anew
I behold the darkness with a belief that seems unreal and untrue

Ever darker growing, the twilight rolls on barely glowing, I cannot explain
Pulses of the day slowing, air whispers lowly, under a cover that is the same
Moonlight clings to my heart, the connection between solar stark, lunar dark
Gives but a glimpse of the cover of night in what could really be afar
Gates of prophecy unknown, uttered or carved script, no demons dare guard
I come and go there and they keep their distance, they're of no regard

Underfoot there exists gulfs massive and hidden from under the sun's light
But I've brought fire with me in only what I've known in this world's night
Forest tunnels leading to a grotto of an ancient recluse, long forbidden
But in the power of the forest alone, it cleared away what was hidden
The oaks belonged to a world much younger, but steady on they kept hold
I've laughed in the face of dread, it finally rested softly, because I behold

In this fanciful flight that I now tell with the odd recall of an old emotion
The candle glows and shows again a bluish light, and never is heard a notion
That the sun is silent for the lack of proximity to this spinning sphere's sight
Somber dark thick and still grasping to hold the wind to reign over the night
Dark is the giant behind the stars and behind them dark will hide
Deeply hidden shadow, the darkened sky blankets the other side
 
Its touch slowly turns to frost, a darker hour that was never known to any clock
Silky shade caresses hollow beams, midnight will hang and drag for time to mock
It cannot be counted properly, I behold the darkness without the words to tell
If I dream it all, if I walk under moon to behold part of heaven which could be hell
And to a window I bring a whim silent thought that gathers many thoughts
And to a window past the gate, we had walked in a night that is never lost


© Iggy 1990

No comments:

Post a Comment